Mar 31, 2007

Poker? Hardly know 'er!

Tonight I won $120 in my semi-regular, $20 buy-in poker game. Could have been $130, but I conceded $10 to the second-place finisher because of what I'm sure was a clutch laydown he made much earlier in the game.

This is the second time in a row that I've won this little ring game of ours. The outcome was all but guaranteed after I busted two opponents in a single hand. The thrill tonight came not from this relatively easy win, but from seeing my main opponent stay alive by reading his rival's tells perfectly, and laying down what must have been a killer hand as a result. That, to me, is the true measure of skill at this game: the ability to fold a good hand because you've intuited that your opponent has a great hand.

Congrats, Ryan. Your laydown was more impressive than any pot I took down tonight, and we both damn well know it.

No comments: